The Catholic University of America

Travel Reimbursements

Travel Expense Report: All travel related reimbursements need to be submitted using a Travel Expense Report. If you are unsure if an expense would be considered a travel expense or not, please review the travel expense report to see if it would fall under any of the categories on the form. All travel expense reports and receipts must be submitted within 15 business days of the completion of travel or the traveler is ineligible for travel reimbursment.

To be reimbursed for travel related expenses:

Attach appropriate receipts and calculations to a completed Travel Expense Report and submit to OCA or attach to a completed Purchase Request on the Nest. Please use the various charts on the Travel Expense Report for the appropriate calculations and breakdown of expenses.

Original Receipts: All original receipts for travel related expenses must be submitted via attachment to the purchase request and/or in person in OCA. If you received paper receipts, the originals are required. For any electronic receipts (i.e. flight confirmations, Uber receipts, etc.), please forward those emails to indicating the purchase request number or print them and drop them off at OCA.

Fiscal Year: If receipts are submitted from a past fiscal year, the Finance Division will deny the request. The fiscal year ends on April 30th each year, so any receipts from May 1 of the previous year and April 30 must be submitted no later than April 30. Reminders are sent throughout April to submit receipts for any outstanding reimbursements.

Available Funds: Your organization must have available funds in order to provide you with a reimbursement. If your organization has less than you spent in available funds, you will be reimbursed up to the amount of funds available in your account.

Gas Reimbursements: Please note that the University does not reimburse the cost of gas for usage of PERSONAL vehicles. CU reimburses for mileage driven while using a personal vehicle. Please see the Travel Expense Report for instructions on how to calculate the amount owed for mileage. Any money spent to put gas in rental or CU-owned vehicles can be reimbursed. If you would like drivers to only be reimbursed up to the amount spent on gas, specify that you would like to complete a "partial reimbursement" when submitting the purchase request.

For help on how to complete the Travel Expense Report please see our instructions on How to complete a Travel Expense Report.